I’ve heard Pastor Steven Furtick say the two most important words a Christian can say are not “you should” but “me too.” I agree wholeheartedly. I’d say the two most important words ANYONE can say to another are “me too.” When a friend is hurting, it’s good to hear “me too.” When a student is struggling, it’s comforting to hear “me too.” When a colleague is stressed, it’s reaffirming to hear “me too.”
“Me too” lets me know I’m not alone. It lets me know someone is listening and someone understands. Sometimes I just really long to hear “me too.” Like when …
- I feel like I don’t fit in
- I feel out of control of my own emotions
- I forget important events
- I feel fat in my clothes
- I’m too tired to clean my house
- I feel bad for being too tired to clean my house
- Besides being tired, I have very little desire to clean my house
- I feel like a bad friend
- I’ve overeaten after promising myself to make better choices
- I click on social media instead of opening up the book I say that I want to finish
- I want to make a difference but I don’t feel like I’m doing anything at all
- I drop the ball on something important
I could go on and on. But today I just feel like someone else needs to hear “me too.” So hear me saying that to you right now, sister.
I feel you. I feel you when you’re down. I feel you when you’re confused. I feel you when guilt is overwhelming you. I feel you when jealousy is sneaking in. I feel you when you’re being too hard on yourself. I feel you when you’re feeling like an imposter. I feel all these things and more.
I hope you have someone in your life (at least one person) who is your “me too” person. Someone who empathizes and encourages you. We all struggle. We all fall short. We all are so uniquely complex. And no one is perfect. No matter how much we look around and decide that everyone else is. They are not.
I also hope that you’ll be someone else’s “me too” person. That you take the compassion that has been shown to you and pay it forward. If you don’t have a “me too” person, then be that person you wish you had. It will mean so much. I promise.
Click “follow” in the side bar to get notified when I add a new post. You don’t want to miss anything!